Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Exchange 2010 CAS array using Windows NLB in a Hyper-V Cluster

This was tricky since it is very dependent on your environment. We have 3Com switches for our Hyper-v cluster (for now... budget constraints) and Cisco switches for the rest of the network. We also have a Cisco router for our gateway and an ASA for our mail firewall.

First I tried Multicast for the NLB, but our ASA did not like the NLB. We couldn't access the NLB vIP address from outside, VPN clients, or at our offices connected via site-to-site VPN. First we tried adding ARP entries to the router and main switch(s). Then we tried Unicast, giving both CAS servers the same MAC as the NLB. It worked and we could access the NLB from outside, but it wouldn't failover. If one server was down it was all down. So instead of being redundant I was doubling my chance of failure.

Finally I used IGMP Multicast. I used this webpage as a guide. The key I think was getting the MAC address for the
"Virtual Machine Bus" Adapter ("Virtual Network Switch" Adapter in 2008 R2) Hyper-V hosts. Since I use 2008 R2 for the Hyper-V hosts, I enabled MAC spoofing in the VM Settings for both CAS servers. I also entered ARP entries on the switch and routers, using the IGMP multicast MAC address.

No comments:

Post a Comment