Monday, April 23, 2012

Adding a new web front end (WFE) to Sharepoint 2007

This might not be much use since it's Sharepoint but there's not a lot of info on setting up a new WFE on Server 2008 R2. 

We currently only have a 2 server Sharepoint 2007 farm (WFE and SQL). The WFE server has gone down twice in the last 6 months, both times it was the voltage regulator. When it happened the 2nd time I decided I was going to add a 2nd WFE just to have in case I need to retire that server. We are planning on upgrading soon but I don't feel comfortable doing it without another WFE. 

It was pretty simple since my environment is already 64-bit. I used a Hyper-V VM with 2008 R2 and added the Application Server and IIS roles, then installed MOSS 2007 with SP2. 

Sharepoint installed without a hitch, but it failed to connect to the config database during the configuration (step 2). "Failed to connect to the configuration database" "Access Denied". I figured it was because I needed to bring the server to the same update level. 
  • I opened Central Administration on the original WFE, Operations>Servers in Farm and found the version (12.0.0.6504). 
  • All you have to do it paste the number into search and you'll find a site that tells you the update level. Mine was the "April 2009 Cumulative update".
  • I downloaded the corresponding updates and upgraded the new WFE.
  • It still failed to connect after I reran the Configuration Wizard, so I restarted even though it didn't prompt me after installing the updates. After the restart it connected just fine.
Now what?  

No comments:

Post a Comment